Toddlers are a challenging bunch especially when it comes to food. Some days they go from picky eaters to eat all the food in the house.
As a nanny I have a few basic beliefs when it comes to feeding any child.
"Do as I say, not as I do."This belief right here is CRAP, if you want your child, or the child you watch to be healthy eaters you have to show them HOW! They don't know how to eat a burger until you show them, or how yummy blueberries are until you demonstrate. You can't just eat a pizza and expect them to be happy with peanut butter and jelly. They do exactly what you do, and also as you say.
- Toddlers DO NOT need "special food." Please read this article right here for more on this! They are human beings and can eat exactly what you eat, of course taking in normal safety procautions. Don't feed your toddler a big thick steak that they can't chew, or something overly spicy. But they surely DO NOT need "toddler/kid food". Chicken nuggets are my "Oh no he's hungry and I need it quick". When I do cook hot dogs, it's because that's what I'm eating as well. For the most part he and I eat the same exact thing.
- Try and try again. Little man did not take to cheese quesadillas at first, and sometimes if it has to much bean on it he'll still turn that bite away, but I haven't given up, and I won't. Same goes with veggies and fruits. Keep offering it, but don't be pushy.
- Please don't be pushy, and also don't label your child. Don't call them "picky", it's almost a self-fullfilling prophecy. Just keep offering, and model it for them, eat the broccoli. I'll tell you a truth, I'm a picky eater, textures freak me OUT! Especially tomatoes or citrus foods, but I can stomach three or four bites of said food so that he can see me eat it, and I make a BIG deal out of it when I take the bites that he's avoiding. I'll eat the bite he just put down, or I'll call his name and have him watch me take the bite.
- Microwave eggs, toast, and sausage with milk
- Cereal or cereal bar, fruit and milk
- Oatmeal, fruit and milk
- Yogurt with fruit and milk
- Cheese/Bean quesadilla, hummus (to dip), veggie (tomato, peas) with juice or water
- Bologna/cheese/cracker "sandwich", celery with juice or water
- Leftover pizza, blueberries, and tomatoes with juice
- Hotdog (cut up), goldfish, cuties, blueberries, raspberries and water
- Peanut butter and jelly, goldfish, fruit and water
- Turkey sandwich, goldfish, fruit and water
- Grilled Cheese, soup or chef boyardee and water
- Deconstructed tacos with juice
- Burtoli meal for 2, tomatoes, cuties with juice
- Fried talipa, roasted potatoes, green beans with water
- Cheese ravolis and meatballs, and bread with water
- Mac n cheese and hot dogs with water
- Chicken breast, pasta sides, green beans with water
- Hamburger, mac n cheese and green beans with water
- Tator tot casserole and green beans with water
Friends - If you are hosting a link party or blog hop, please head over to my Linked with Page and add yourself to your specific day. I might have already added you if I have already visited you and have your button :) Also please go visit my link party Seasons on Saturday and add your own submissions! The party starts on Saturday at 12:01am! Come share with me!!